Saturday 10 November 2012

Tissue Boxes {decoupage}

With winter approaching and everybody catching colds, tissues always need to be at hand in the house. To me that's another excuse for more decoupaging.

The technique that I use to achieve crackle effect is described here .  The crackle medium and gold paste that I use is exactly the one that is used in the tutorial. I shop for all my supplies (including plain wooden tissue boxes) on the website.

For the top coat (you have to seal and protect your work once you've done all decoupaging) I use yacht varnish a top coat. All those decoupage varnishes that claim to be waterproof are not that waterproof really. If the object gets soaked in water, varnish goes white and peals off. Like PVA glue. Meanwhile yacht varnish (bought mine from DIY store)  is obviously absolutely waterproof. It smells though, so take precautions when varnishing and it once it's dry (you'll need 2-3 coats), smell will completely go away in only about 2 weeks, so have that in mind if you are  planning to gift the item.  Oh, bare in mind, it gives yellowy hue (which I like). 

4 comments:

  1. They are just fabulous :) Beautiful work.
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we need a tutorial or a link! They're gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping over to have a look at my crafty creations :)

      I've added some info on how it's been made. But I will do my own step-by-step tutorial soon.

      Delete